Biotechnology is applied and used to study the natural environment. Environmental biotechnology could also imply that one tries to harness biological process for commercial uses and exploitation. Environmental biotechnology as "the development, use and regulation of biological systems for remediation of contaminated environments and for environment-friendly processes (green manufacturing technologies and sustainable development). Environmental biotechnology can simply be described as "the optimal use of nature, in the form of plants, animals, bacteria, fungi and algae, to produce renewable energy, food, and nutrients in a synergistically integrated cycle of profit making processes where the waste of each process becomes the feedstock for another process".
- Treatment of Sewage Using Microorganisms
- Treatment of Industrial Effluents Using Biotechnology
- Biotechnology for Toxic Site Reclamation
- Biotechnology in Restoration of Degraded Lands
- Biopolymers and Bioplastics